Guinea Pig Longhair, whose photo isin this article, this is a pet. Its wild ancestors exist almost 40 million years ago. Over time, guinea pigs were domesticated by humans. And thanks to the selection there were exotic species. The most popular for domestic content are long-haired.
A bit of history
Scientists suggest that wild guinea pigsthemselves came in search of warmth for human habitation. Indians who lived in pre-Columbian America, kept these animals as livestock and used for food, and also sacrificed to the gods.
In Europe, guinea pigs appeared only in the 16th century.Longhaired guinea pigs first appeared in France. Now there are nurseries of long-haired guinea pigs all over the world. And animal lovers began their breeding breeding.
Description of long-haired pigs
One of your favorite pets is the sealong-haired pig. The description of different breeds may differ, but there are common signs. All mumps have a small oval body. Head - with a "Roman" profile, large ears and large bulging eyes. The paws are short, the tail is practically absent.
The nose is large, with a small bump.The structure of the teeth is special. Lower and upper incisors are large, not having roots. They grow all their lives. It is sharpened by a natural way. Between the incisors and molars are small distances.
From simple guinea-pigs to long-haireddiffer precisely in the length of the coat, which can reach 20, and in the Peruvian - even 50 cm. Moreover, the wool grows not only on the body, but also on the head. The breeds of long-haired guinea pigs differ in the structure of the coat and in its color. The color scheme is very diverse.
It can be either monophonic or motley,which combines three colors. The most common color has red hues. But sometimes there are guinea pigs with wool of the purest white color or completely black.
Breeds of longhaired guinea pigs
Long-haired breed guinea pigs conditionallyare divided into two main groups: with straight or curly wool. But all of them are unpretentious to the conditions of detention. There are many breeds. The most popular ones are described below:
- Sheltie. In this breed, the wool is smooth and soft. It grows from the muzzle to the body. Any sockets and whirlwinds are unacceptable. On the muzzle the wool is short, with sideburns. Color can be monophonic or mottled.
- Coronet. The breed is bred in England.The name of the pig was received because of a woolen rosette in the form of a crown on the head. The muzzle is framed by whiskers. Body wool is straight and silky, without rosettes and whirlwinds. It grows, starting from the muzzle. Color can be monophonic or variegated. From the Sheltie breed, the coronet differs only in rosette on the head.
- Texel. These guinea pigs are curly, flexible. It grows from the muzzle to the sacrum. Colors can be very diverse.
- Merino. This breed was named due to the winding long wool and the socket on the head. It is she who distinguishes them from texels.
- Alpaca. The breed is identical to Peruvian. The pigs have a thick bangs on their heads. Wool grows to the muzzle. On the rump - two rosettes. From the Peruvian guinea pigs of the Alpaca are distinguished by curly hair.
- The Swiss Teddy. The breed is very valuable and rare.Externally, the pigs look like a ball of wool. It is quite thick, it feels stiff, standing and slightly curled. Its length is about six centimeters, the same throughout the calf's calf. On the tummy, the wool is curly. According to the standard, there are no vortexes and sockets, except one on the head. Color - monophonic or mottled.
- Lunkaria. This breed is also considered exotic. From other breeds differs by rigid and curly locks.
Guinea Pig Longhair - very friendlypet. These exotic rodents are sociable, mobile. When they get used to the house and the owners, they are very willing to make contact. Very fond of attention to his person. Perfectly get along with rabbits. But other animals and birds (dogs, cats, parrots, etc.) can be dangerous for them.
Marine long-haired pigs are fairly peacefuland bite very rarely. But small children with them alone can not be left, since children can injure a small animal. And the animal, frightened - to bite. Children aged six or eight can take care of them.
Guinea pigs are perfectly trained.Quickly remember their name and respond to it with ease. They can recognize even simple commands or certain sounds. Tamed quickly, with the condition that they are given enough attention. With guinea pigs you need to talk. They are very fond of when they are stroked and taken in their arms.
Guinea pig long-haired is fed the same way,as well as her usual brethren. The diet should include grass, hay and cereals. Grass before serving is slightly dried. It is necessary to give pigs carrots, cucumbers, beets with tops, apples and greens. But all of the above should be included in the diet in small portions.
Potatoes can only be cooked, and quiteLittle. Cereals should be slightly soaked and fed in the morning. A seed is useful. Feeding should be twice a day. Uneaten food is removed from the cage in two hours. The water should be filtered and fresh.
Guinea pigs longhaired: care and maintenance
To keep guinea pigs need a spaciouscell (minimum 60x40x60), so that the animal can move freely. It is installed far away from drafts and the sun, to which animals are very sensitive. The house is located in a cage not very high, since it is impossible to fall from the pigs even from a small height.
The pallet is desirable, as it facilitates cleaning.The cage should be drinking bowl and two bowls for food, as well as a small nursery for grass and hay. In the cage you need to fix a piece of chalk and a strong branch (for grinding teeth). For the litter, sawdust or shavings are suitable. Cleaning is done daily. The litter changes every other day. Guinea pigs need to be let out for a daily walk.
The wool is brushed daily with a soft brush.At least 3-4 times a week. Washing guinea pigs is not recommended at all. But if it is necessary, then only after heavy pollution. Wool is dried with a towel or a hairdryer. If it is very long, then it is removed into paper papyolki. Ears are inspected regularly and, if necessary, are cleaned with cotton buds. Claws are cut once a month.
Guinea pig long-haired is very seldom sick and immune to even infectious diseases. But there are a number of diseases that can be susceptible to animals:
- heart disease;
- otitis of the ear;
- skin infections;
- salmonellosis and some other diseases.
Guinea Pig Longhair makes sounds,many of which are of particular importance. Pregnant tweet like birds. And they do it in the dark and sing so until five minutes. But this phenomenon is very rare. During courtship males rumble on the wedding song. The same sounds can be produced by the dominant female, if she lives with her relatives together. When the pig is stroked, she can quietly purr with pleasure, like a cat.