Several years ago, domestic needlewomenthere was one more opportunity to realize their creative plans. The fact is that in a wide sale a material called craft foam (foam foam), or, as it is called in the CIS, a foamiran or phoam, became available. What is this substance, what kinds of it are found and how to work with fameirane? Let's consider all these issues in more detail.
What is fameamor
This word is called decorative foamymaterial for needlework, made of a polymer of ethylene vinyl acetate. Because of the rough surface, this material is also called plastic suede, reveler and other terms.
Its special name is "fameiran" - inPolish, Ukrainian, Russian and other Slavic languages, he received because of the country-producer - Iran (foam Iran), which is the largest supplier of this material in the world.
In addition to the Iranian one, one can encounter a Chinese, Korean and Turkish fameiran.
Depending on the country of manufacture, the color range of the material is different, as well as its density, uniformity of painting and length.
Features of Foam
Before you figure out how to work with fameiranom, it is worth to find out what the specifics of this material are for creativity.
The main advantage of Foam is its ease (you can even say: airiness), as well as the ability to change shape when heated, and cooled - to keep it.
This property is used by domesticneedlewomen to make beautiful and incredibly realistic flowers and jewelry for hair, brooches. In fact, unlike plastic, the foame is very light, supple and soft. Also, by its properties, it surpasses the fabric and skin - firmly holds the given shape, is not afraid of moisture and does not burn out, and its cost is very low. In addition, this material is easy to paint, and also lends itself to embossing.
It is worth noting that in the US and China, other areas of application of foi are more common: cosplay and carnival costumes are made of it.
In addition, in the industry of this material make puzzles, designers and children's sets for creativity.
Types of Foamiran
Foam can be different.In the CIS, it is most often found in the form of thin sheets of A-4 format or rolls. As a rule, the thickness of the material in this form is 1-1.5 mm. Sheet and roll foiaran is perfect for making ornaments and flowers.
Less popular with domestic needlewomen use sets of different foyam figures, numbers or letters.
In other countries, in addition to the thin material,is quite common thick sheet craft foam (from 1 cm), on which you can cut patterns, as if on a tree. Thanks to this, his property is a widely used material for creating cosplay costumes for heroes of fantasy and anime.
As for the appearance of a thin phoem, that is, several of its varieties.
- A conventional foamiran, uniformly colored with one color.
- Foam with print, most often floral or geometric pattern. Sometimes there is a picture on the surface of the material.
- Great popularity is enjoyed by glitter foiaran, the surface of which is covered with monophonic or multicolored sparkles. Most often it is used for making crowns and ribbons for rims.
- Also common is zephyr phoam, which differs from the usual one in that it becomes thinner and becomes slightly transparent when heated.
- Also, special love is enjoyed by silk foiuran, named so because of its silky surface.
Tools for working with fаmirane
Before you learn how to work with FAM, you should consider which tools should be used for this.
- First of all - it's scissors, because it's with theirIt will be possible to cut out the details of the future product. In addition to the usual tailors and small sewing, when working with foiom you can use curly scissors. However, it should be remembered that they must be of good quality and sharp - otherwise they can chew the material, and not cut it.
- To heat foamiran (in order to give it plasticity), the usual iron is used, curling irons and hair straighteners or a lighter.
- To give details the right shape, oftenspecial tools are used - stacks. They have sharp, round and curly tips. Beginner masters instead of stacks use toothpicks or needles.
- For painting the foaming, there are specialized dyes. However, on the domestic expanses the most popular dye remains oil pastel or children's wax crayons.
- For fastening the foamed parts, the most optimal is either the "Moment" glue or the glue gun. PVA, "Dragon" and other hand-made glues are ineffective in this case, since they are frozen for a long time.
- And the last very important tool for working withcraft foam - it's molds (molds to give the material volume and the desired texture). They do not need a novice needlewoman. But for those who seriously took a great interest in fomiranom - they can not do without.
- For cutting out details of craft foam, you can also use figured punchers, plotters, machines for cutting and stamping.
How to work with fameirarn
Before you get started, you shouldprepare all the tools, as well as a workplace, on which there should be nothing superfluous. As an example of how to work with foyamir, let's give an example of making a small rose.
- It will take a usual pink and green foams 1-1.5 mm thick. Attached to it is a "pattern" of the future flower and it is outlined with a toothpick (if there is no sharp stack).
- Then carefully cut out the part and cut into several petals.
- We turn on the iron and to it, in turn, we puteach petal on this principle: heat, roll, glue; take a new petal, heat, roll, glue - and so on until you get a rose of the desired size.
- To make the flower look complete, you needmake sepal from green foamiran. It is treated in the same way as petals, and is put on a wire that will play the role of a stem. Wire and sepals are fixed with glue, and voila - the rose is ready.
How to work with molds for fomirana
The above example is suitable for those whoonly mastering the foamiran. Over time, it is worth starting to improve your skills - mastering molds. They can be purchased at the store, ordered on the Internet or made by themselves.
In your arsenal, you must have at least two molds: one for leaflets, the other for making petals.
Use molds already after stainingfoyamina, warming the material on the iron and pressing it to the instrument. Press the part to the mold you need, until it cools down and freezes, it usually takes a few seconds. After that, the edges can be cut, although some masters do this before working with the mold.
The detail for deformation is always important to make a larger size than necessary, since it will decrease when heated.
Molds are single (they make a relief with oneside) and double (form on both sides). When working with single pieces, it is important to put on top of the detail one more piece of foiurane that will prevent the appearance of fingerprints on the finished product. In double molds, there is no such need.
How to work with non-standard types of foams
In recent years, two new types of craft foam have appeared on the domestic market. One of them is a zephyr pharylite. How to work with him? Let's figure it out.
Before work, this material should be specially processed. To do this, the cut out detail is toned with pastel and (putting between two sheets of paper) is ironed in steam mode.
When the part has cooled down - it is removed (after processing the material becomes very thin, almost transparent) and applied to a hot iron. Next - processed mold.
After this procedure, the processed part is warmed up and slightly stretched in the hands. If necessary, the edges are slightly warmed up with a lighter.
Having considered the technique of processing zephyr phoem, let's find out how to cope with his fellow called silk foamiran.
How to work with him? Much easier than with marshmallow, because it is less whimsical. Pre-iron it - there is no need, because it is so thin and plastic and does not bubble on the iron, like a marshmallow.
Working with a silk phoenix, the carved piece must be heated on an iron and deformed with a mold. The further form is given by hands. If necessary, a lighter is used.
Having considered the features of fomiran, as well as hisspecies, we can conclude that this material - an indispensable thing in the arsenal of each needlewoman. And if we take into account that domestic craftsmen do not take full advantage of the opportunities that this material possesses, we can conclude that he has a great future in the vastness of our homeland.