In our time, many users are thinking aboutthe way the process of information compression is implemented in order to save free space on the hard drive, because this is one of the most effective means of using the usable space in any drive. Quite often, modern users who are faced with a lack of free space on the drive, have to delete any data, trying to free the space in this way, while more advanced users often use data compression in order to reduce its size.
However, many do not even know what the process of information compression is called, not to mention which algorithms are used and what each of them uses.
Is it worth compressing data?
Data compression is important enough fortoday and is necessary for any user. Of course, in our time, almost everyone can purchase advanced data storage devices that provide for the possibility of using a sufficiently large amount of free space, as well as equipped with high-speed information broadcasting channels.
However, it should be correctly understood that withIn the course of time, the amount of data that needs to be transferred also increases. And if literally ten years ago the standard for a regular film was considered to be 700 MB, nowadays films made in HD quality can have volumes equal to several tens of gigabytes, not to mention how much free space is occupied by high-quality pictures in Blu-ray format.
When is data compression necessary?
Of course, do not wait for the process of compressioninformation will bring you a lot of benefits, but there is a certain number of situations in which some methods of information compression are extremely useful and even necessary:
- Transfer of certain documents via e-mail. In particular, this applies to situations where it is necessary to transfer information in large volumes using various mobile devices.
- Often, the process of compressing information in order to reduce its occupied space is used when publishing certain data on various sites when it is required to save traffic;
- Save free hard disk spaceIn the event that there is no possibility to replace or add new means of data storage. In particular, the most common situation is when there are certain limitations in the available budget, but there is not enough free disk space.
Of course, in addition to the above, there is stilla huge number of different situations, which may require a process of compressing information in order to reduce its volume, but these are by far the most common.
How can I compress the data?
Today, there are a variety of methods of information compression, but they are all divided into two main groups - compression with certain losses, and lossless compression.
The use of the last group of methods isrelevant when the data must be recovered with the utmost precision, up to one bit. This approach is the only relevant if you compress a specific text document.
It should be noted that in somesituations, there is no need for the most accurate recovery of compressed data, so it is possible to use algorithms in which data compression on a disk is performed with certain losses. The advantage of lossy compression is that such technology is much simpler to implement, and also provides the highest possible degree of archiving.
Lossy information compression algorithmsprovide an order of magnitude better compression, while maintaining sufficient quality of information. In most cases, such algorithms are used to compress analog data, such as all kinds of images or sounds. In such situations, the extracted files may differ significantly from the original information, but for the human eye or ear they are practically indistinguishable.
Lossless information compression algorithmsprovide the most accurate data recovery, eliminating any loss of compressible files. However, it is necessary to correctly understand the fact that in this case, not so effective compression of files.
Among other things, there is a certain number ofuniversal methods that perform an effective process of compressing information in order to reduce the space occupied by it. In general, there are only three main technologies:
- Conversion of the flow. In this case, the description of the new incoming uncompressed information is carried out through already processed files, without calculating any probabilities, and character encoding based solely on files that have already been processed.
- Statistical compression. This process of compressing information in order to reduce the space it occupies on the disk is divided into two subcategories - adaptive and block methods. An adaptive option involves calculating the probabilities for new files from information that has already been processed in the encoding process. In particular, various adaptive variants of the Shannon-Fano and Huffman algorithms should also be referred to such methods. The block algorithm provides for separate calculation of each block of information with subsequent addition to the most compressed block.
- Convert a block. The incoming information is divided into several blocks, and then a complete transformation takes place. At the same time, it should be said that certain methods, especially those based on permutation of several blocks, can ultimately lead to a significant reduction in the amount of compressed information. However, it must be correctly understood that after such processing ultimately there is a significant improvement in the data structure, as a result of which the subsequent compression through other algorithms is much easier and faster.
One of the most important components of the backupcopying is the device on which the information needed by the user will be moved. The more data you move, the more voluminous device you will need to use. However, if you perform the process of data compression, then the problem of lack of free space is unlikely to remain relevant for you.
Why is this necessary?
Possibility of information compression atbackup allows you to significantly reduce the time it will be necessary to copy the desired files, while at the same time to effectively save free space on the drive. In other words, when using compression, the information will be copied much more compactly and quickly, and you will be able to save your money and finances, which were necessary to buy a more voluminous drive. In addition, by compressing information, you also reduce the time that will be required when transporting all data to the server or copying them across the network.
Data compression for backup canrun in one or more files - in this case everything will depend on what program you use and what information you are compressing.
When choosing a utility,How much the program you choose can compress the data. It depends on the type of information, so that the efficiency of text documents compression can be more than 90%, while the compression of images will not be more than 5% effective.