This bridge was built over the Malaya Neva in St. Petersburg. The total length is 239 meters. He's getting divorced. After perestroika, he was given the form of the Palace Bridge. A new view made the Neva's panorama more symmetrical.
Location of the bridge
One of the crossings from the Petrograd side to theVasilievsky Island and back - the Exchange Bridge - leads from Mytninskaya Embankment to the Rostral Columns and the Makarov Embankment. Movement on the bridge is two-way. From Vasilevsky Island to the bridge you can get through the Exchange Square from the University embankment. Following the arrow of Vasilievsky Island, you will find yourself on Mytninskaya Embankment or in the Zoological Lane. With the return traffic, the bridge is accessed from Dobrolyubov Avenue and leads both to the Birzhevaya Square and to the Makarova Embankment.
Nearby points of interest
The bridge is in the center of the city. Next to it are located:
- On the Petrograd side - the zoo, the Museum of Artillery, the ensemble of the Peter and Paul Fortress.
- On the Vasilievsky Island there is the Kunstkamera, the Zoological Museum and the Soil Science Museum. Also, the bridge leads to the arrow of Vasilievsky Island, where the building of the stock exchange and the Rostral columns are located.
The history of the Exchange Bridge
The name took the bridge from the stock exchange, located on thearrow. Originally a trading port was based here, at the mouth of the Malaya Neva. Undoubtedly, the expanding Vasilyevsky Island needed a reliable ferry. The construction of the first bridge, as designed by engineer Mazurov, was completed in 1894. It was 25-span and made of wood. Incredibly complex design was 328 meters long. The sprawl span was in the middle.
Plans for the construction of a permanent bridge at 70meters downstream did not materialize. First because of the outbreak of the First World War, and then the revolution. In Soviet times, the bridge was called the Building Bridge and remained wooden until the 1960s.
In 1930 and 1947, the bridge was being repairedThe capital, but increasing traffic, made the use of the wooden bridge impossible. Supports are constantly rotting. As a result of one of the reconstructions, the bridge has already become, which aggravated the transport situation. In addition, it was badly damaged by an ice drift in 1957. The need for a new bridge has become quite an acute urban problem. The old design not only hampered the passage, but also spoiled the face of the city. At that time, the image of Mytninskaya embankment underwent significant changes.
In 1960, a new one was built, completelyconsisting of welded metal elements, a bridge. Two of his flights were divorced. Simultaneously with the construction of the bridge, the landscape of the Neva Delta was changed. The island of Vatny and the eponymous channel on the Petrograd side completely fell asleep. Thanks to this change, a large area appeared before the bridge. The new structure is located 70 meters downstream, as was supposed before the revolution. Now the bridge overlooks Dobrolyubov Avenue, bypassing the narrow Zoologic Lane. The new location allowed the transport to move freely from the Petrograd side and back.
The authors of the project are engineers Levin and Demchenko,architects Noskov and Areshev - made changes to the eastern extremity of Vasilievsky Island and the general view of the Makarov quay. A parapet was built, which was absent from the time of the merchant port. Stock exchange bridge in form - a copy of the Palace. Thanks to this, a new, unique panorama of the city was created.
The design was installed on reinforced concretetubular piles with a diameter of 56 cm. The new bridge, as well as the old one (wooden), had five spans. The width of the new construction is 9 meters. A more ordered and symmetrical view of the embankments of the Big and Small Neva became a new symbol of the city. The architecture of the bridge was somewhat simplified. When creating the project, traffic safety standards were taken into account. In general, the new bridge has become more functional. At the same time, the architects did not forget about the monumentality inherent in the whole appearance of the city. The poles are faced with pink granite. The rails of the bridge are made of darts and decorated with Neptune tridents in spans. In 1989, the ferry was finally returned to the old name - the Exchange Bridge. A photo of an old, ornate wooden structure - the only thing that recalls the past. To the new design, the townspeople quickly got used to it.
At the moment, the Exchange Bridge in St. Petersburg- one of the important crossings between the Vasilievsky Island and the Petrograd side. Recently, work was completed on the installation of electric lighting. Finally, about 670 fixtures, spotlights, mainly LED, were fixed on the bridge supports. The capacity of the equipment was 25.4 kW. The illumination has isolated and allocated a low-key bridge with a laconic design. It became part of a single ensemble of the Neva embankments. Thanks to modern technology, the supports and handrails look great at night. Many old-timers are pleased to note the fact that the Exchange Bridge has become very beautiful. The layout of it became even more like the Dvortsovy Bridge.
Detour of the Exchange Bridge
During the festive events, the Exchange Bridge,as well as Tuchkov, are often blocked, and transport is bypassed. Increasing traffic intensity made the bridge a problem point on the city map. The ferry is the shortest route from the center to the Vasilievsky Island and the Petrograd side. Around the closed area is possible on Troitsky or Blagoveshchensky bridge.
The bridge is followed by a trolleybus № 7, connectingKrasnogvardeysky district with the Petrograd side. The initial stop is on Stakhanovtsev Street, the final one is at Petrovskaya Square. The 10th bus follows the Petrograd side and the Exchange Bridge from the Krestovsky Island, then - along the Palace Bridge and the city center towards the Baltic Station. Route taxi 191 and K209, following the bridge, connect the Nevsky district with the city center. The fixed-route taxi 5M connected Vasilievsky Island, the Petrograd side and the center.
Divorce of the Exchange Bridge
The schedule of the Stock Exchange bridge - during the periodnavigation (from May to November) daily from 02:00 to 04:55. The crossing became a favorite place for tourists. The episode of Birzhevoy's distribution is shown in the comedy "The Incredible Adventures of Italians in Russia".