St. Petersburg is often called a city-museum. In the northern capital of Russia an incredible number of historical sites and recognized masterpieces of architecture. To argue about which place in the city on the Neva is the most beautiful, you can endlessly long. The English embankment in St. Petersburg is one of the most interesting parts of the historical center. Perhaps this place is not the most beautiful in the whole city, but it definitely deserves attention!
At the beginning of the eighteenth century, the Englishthe embankment in St. Petersburg was considered one of the most prestigious areas of the city. According to the original building plan, there should have been an industrial zone. In 1710, A. Menshikov somehow miraculously received permission to build a house in this place. After a while, Peter I began personally handing out land plots for building to influential and wealthy residents of St. Petersburg. The English embankment in St. Petersburg, according to the Emperor's plan, was to become a visiting card of the city. The thing is that this is the place first seen by foreigners sailing on ships.
Peter the First was demanding of architectureerected on the embankment of buildings, personally checked the progress of the building. In addition, the lucky owners of land in the area were obliged to improve the shore for their own money.
Why the "English" quay?
During its history this section of the banks of the Neva has changed 22 names. The most famous among them: Galernaya, Beregovaya Bottaya, Isaakievskaya and the embankment of the Red Fleet.
In 1935, Russia entered into an agreement withGreat Britain, which provides favorable conditions for the acquisition of real estate in Russian cities for the British. It was at that time that the English embankment in St. Petersburg was again renamed. Many residents of Great Britain moved to St. Petersburg. The embankment became the most real English quarter - with the national church, the English club and the theater.
And yet after a while in this quarter again began to settle native Petersburgers. The name of the embankment changed, the historical - "English" - was officially returned in 1994.
Attractions and most interesting buildings
Houses on the English embankment form "continuousfacade "- this is not only a fashionable solution for its era, but also practical. The location of neighboring buildings close to each other made it possible to save expensive land in the prestigious districts of the city. In this area you can admire the buildings in various styles, there is also Baroque, and classicism, and eclecticism, and modernism. Some of the most famous on the waterfront are the mansions of the rich and noble people of the bygone era: the house of Naryshkin (No. 10), the house of Baron Stieglitz (No. 68) and the mansion of Count Rumyantsev (No. 44) - it houses a museum.
In a unique historical building is located andWedding Palace: St. Petersburg, English Embankment, house 28 - this is his exact address. The mansion was built by Derviz and was used for some time for permanent residence.
We can not ignore the Senate building where the Constitutional Court is today - this is house No. 2, and the house of the College of Foreign Affairs.
Today the British Embankment in St. Petersburg,photo on which you can make quite interesting, is a favorite place for walking guests and residents of the city. In this area of the Northern capital each tourist will find a sufficient number of catering establishments and cultural and entertainment facilities. A boring walk will not be!