Humiliation is one of the most powerful stimuli to which the human psyche reacts extremely painfully. Nevertheless, this phenomenon can and must be fought.
Humiliation is the behavior of an individual directedto suppress the sense of dignity both in the person himself and in the eyes of others. This action can be either unconsciously or intentionally, for the purpose of self-assertion or in the process of education. It should be noted that humiliation can cause serious psychological trauma and nervous disorders.
For an object to which such aactivity, humiliation is a serious shock and a blow to well-being. Self-esteem and humiliation are the fourth step in Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Thus, a person deliberately tries to avoid humiliating situations, which often leads to lack of sociability and sociopathy.
Fear of Humiliation
Humiliation is a uniquely unpleasant feeling. Fear is largely due to the fact that in such an unpleasant situation there may be everyone, which is absolutely impossible to foresee. But much depends on personal psychological characteristics. So, if an individual is self-confident and psychologically stable, he will calmly survive an unpleasant situation (it is possible that she will not leave a trace). But a weak personality can break down a humble person, which sometimes leads to tragic consequences.
Subjugation and humiliation are undesirablefeelings that are especially painful for teenagers. It is during this period that the character and perception of the world are formed. After experiencing humiliation in adolescence, a person with caution refers to others and closes in himself. Trying to exclude the possibility of a repetition of the situation, it becomes unsociable and aggressive, which complicates the process of adaptation in society.
Is it possible to avoid humiliation?
Submission and humiliation will not be pleasant to anyone. It is only natural that people try to avoid such situations, even if they have not previously encountered similar feelings. As a rule, people are humiliated in the course of the conflict. If you feel that the situation is heating up, you can use these methods:
- Try to understand the mood of your interlocutor. If he behaves aggressively, do not try to express his opinion, even if it is the only correct one.
- Try to defuse the situation by changing the subject. Do it carefully, so as not to offend the interlocutor.
- If you feel that humiliation of honor is the main goal of the interlocutor, you should not even try to prove your rightness. Even if you are overwhelmed with emotions, just turn around and leave.
How to survive humiliation?
Humiliation of human dignity is the wayself-affirmation, revenge, etc. Nevertheless, for a person who has been exposed to such an influence, this is a serious shock that can postpone the imprint for the rest of his life. There are cases when a humiliating situation became the cause of suicide (especially in adolescents). To experience an unpleasant situation without serious consequences for the psyche, it is worth paying attention to these tips:
- The most common method is "delete". You must live and communicate with others as if there had never been an unpleasant incident.
- If you can not erase from memoryhumiliating situation, try to resort to the help of visual images. Being in a relaxed state, imagine that your memories and sensations associated with them are washed away by water or blown away by the wind.
- Find some unnecessary object (for example, a cracked plate, an old toy, a broken clock) and put all your negative into it. Further, this thing must be destroyed.
- If you treat yourself to strong people, accumulate negative energy and direct it to action. Your success will certainly block all the negative emotions caused by humiliation.
- Perceive the experience not asshock, but as a life lesson. Carefully analyze what happened to understand its causes. It is also worth developing a strategy of behavior that will help you avoid humiliation in the future.
Whether it is necessary to address to the psychologist?
Insult feelings many take lightly. Nevertheless, this can cause serious psychological trauma. It is worthwhile to understand that all people are different. Someone will calmly suffer humiliation, someone will come out of the oppressed state on their own, and for someone even the support of relatives will not be a consolation. In the latter case, you must without fail refer to a psychologist. A specialist will help you feel like a full-fledged person again. In addition, a qualified psychologist will give you valuable advice for the future, which will allow you to dignify out of humiliating situations.
Cultural and psychological humiliation
Insult feelings can have a different background. So, most often there is a cultural humiliation. It is aimed at exposing a person in an unattractive light to others, provoking ridicule and persecution. Most often it concerns some features of appearance, behavior, personal life and so on.
Nevertheless, no matter how strong the fearpublic condemnation, much more terrible psychological humiliation. It affects the state of mind, painful situations and topics. As a result, a person can fall into a deep depression.
How to humiliate a person (not perceive as a guide to action)?
People are often careless in communicating with each other.friend. They do not even suspect that an imprudent word can cause serious psychological trauma. How to humiliate a person? Much easier than it may seem. Such words and situations are humiliating:
- Demonstrative indication of obvious things. For example: "You need to brush your teeth!", "We need to iron clothes!", "You can not champ at the table!" Thus, a person tries to hint at a low level of intellectual, physical and social development of the opponent.
- Criticism of the personality of an abstract person whoin fact, it is directed to the interlocutor. For example: "Who smokes tobacco, that fool!" This is the most innocuous example. Often people touch personal feelings or more serious situations.
- It would seem that giving advice is harmless and evennobly. Nevertheless, there may be some hidden subtext. Trying to give a useful recommendation, people often expose the interlocutor in an impartial light or demonstrate intellectual superiority.
- Not only the phrase itself, but also the intonation with which it is spoken, can humiliate a person. So, a disparaging or arrogant tone can offend, even if some ordinary thing is said.
- Non-constructive criticism affecting hobbiesand persuasion rights. For example, claiming that all boxers are mentally retarded, that all artists are alcoholics, and musicians are drug addicts, a person tries to discredit your way of life.
- In communicating with a specialist in a particular field, people are often praised by his competitors. Nevertheless, this can be regarded as a desire to belittle the professional qualities of the interlocutor.
- Laugh or joke during the dialogue. The person, undoubtedly, will be insulted by inappropriate laughter, which followed a serious and meaningful phrase.
- Unexpected change of topic, when the interlocutor speaks about something extremely important for himself. It is a demonstration of neglect and disrespect.
- Features of appearance - one of the most painful topics. It is very easy to insult a person and cause internal complexes in him, if you point out to him the shortcomings of a figure or some defects.
It is not easy to experience moral and physical humiliation. If you are faced with such a situation, you need to properly form your attitude towards it. It is worthwhile to understand that in trying to offend the other, a person first of all humiliates himself. When you understand this, it will be much easier for you to survive an unpleasant situation without getting depressed.