Blackmail is a way of controlling other people,unseemly acts for the purpose of extortion, aimed at obtaining any benefits (material, physical or psychological) by threatening to expose, disclose any discrediting information, intimidation or coercion.
Parents, dissatisfied with the behavior of the child, a couple,a severely experiencing gap, an employer who demands more from his employee - all these are potential situations for the application of psychological violence. Emotional blackmail is the kind of manipulation that close people use most often to get what they need to achieve more comfortable conditions for themselves. This type of threat is not a criminal offense and is not regulated by law, so you need to cope with the blackmailer yourself:
- First of all, it is necessary to understand that if you give way once, the probability of again encountering a blackmailer is great. Accepting his conditions, we only help him improve his skills.
- Going at the blackmailer on occasion, a person belittles self-esteem, which will adversely affect the mental state.
- In no case can you join a blackmailer in an emotional conflict, take his threats to heart. You need to treat him smoothly and emotionally, keeping distance.
- Stop fearing the threats of the blackmailer, and vice versa,understand what motivates him and why he does it, understand the essence of his behavior and push in the right direction the way out of the conflict situation, looking for other sources of satisfaction of his desires.
But physical blackmail is a methodextortion. This type of threat already falls under the Criminal Code and is regulated by law. Extortion refers to a group of crimes against property, but not including signs of embezzlement.
Article of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation 163 classifies extortionas a requirement to transfer someone else's property or the right to it under the threat of violence, the dissemination of a deceitful or discrediting victim or close information, the destruction of property.
Criminal punishment for extortion
If extortion is committed in advanceconspiracy by a group of persons, with the use of violence, on a large scale, article 163 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation sets the penalty in the form of imprisonment for up to 7 years and a fine of up to 500 thousand rubles or in the amount of the salary received by the convict over the last three years.
If extortion was committedorganized by a group of persons with the aim of obtaining property on a particularly large scale, with violence and causing serious harm to health, the punishment is from 7 to 15 years of imprisonment with a monetary penalty of 1 million rubles.
Types of extortion. The blackmailer-extortionist - who is he?
Any claim of property or money from a person inexchange for some kind of service or concealment of secrets is regarded as a crime. And this must be remembered both for the extortioner and for the victim: any physical blackmail is an article.
As the criminal practice shows, the mosta common type in our country is extortion of the school-student type with a specific contingent - schoolchildren and young people under 25 years. As a rule, this is the most "harmless" kind of blackmail.
Crimes of this kind are committed as individuals,and groups of individuals. Moreover, due to their age qualities, schoolchildren act in most cases by a group, and students prefer an individual form of committing a crime. This is due to the fact that the blackmailer-schoolboy, because of his immaturity and desire for self-affirmation, needs the psychological support of his peers.
The most common extortionists are "difficultteenagers ", children from disadvantaged families, many of whom are registered with law enforcement agencies and have poor academic performance at school. For such blackmail, the Criminal Code provides for punishment in the form of a fine of 80,000 rubles or imprisonment up to 4 years, as well as forced labor for up to 4 years with restriction of liberty for up to 2 years or without it, or with arrest for up to 6 months.
This type of blackmail, as a rule, does not includeself-inflicting physical harm to the victim, although for student extortion it is sometimes common to cause light or heavy harm to the victim's health in a state of intoxication.
The second type is household. A man of any status and prosperity can become extortioner here. The motive in this case is not only greed and greed, but also personal insults. The criminal in domestic extortion acts by means of blackmail. The threat is usually transmitted orally, sometimes by phone or by electronic communication. The written form is used extremely rarely. To manipulate the victim most often used threats of physical violence.
The third type is racketeering. He has a direct connection with the world of business and market economy and enjoyed special popularity in our country during the perestroika times. It is performed, as a rule, by an organized group of persons, is of the most aggressive character, accompanied by causing grave harm to the health of the victim.
The fourth type is official. This type of crime is committed by a person with high status status and certain regalia. Basically, it includes bribery.
How to behave, if you are being blackmailed?
Any blackmail is the strongest emotional shake, so the main rule in this situation is not to be nervous, calm down and start thinking.
- It is necessary to understand what exactly you are going toblackmail. When you figure out what information can be used against you, try to get acquainted with its content. Very often it is transmitted orally, so it is worth demanding that it be provided in full. On the hands must remain at least copies of documents that will serve as evidence.
- In case of refusal to complete the transaction, find out when the next threat will be. By this you gain time, which will give you an opportunity to think and calculate further actions.
- Calmly assess the situation and decide whether the connection with the blackmailer will be an even greater mistake than the rejection of it. What will you lose if you do not agree to go to the conditions of the criminal?
How to prove and where to apply?
What if you are being blackmailed? Go directly to the law enforcement agencies with a statement on the basis of which a criminal case will be initiated. It is necessary to apply to the hospital for medical examination, if in the process of blackmail, damage to health was caused. Try to record the conversation on the recorder, provide printouts of electronic correspondence, photographs, videotape, testimony - in general, everything that can be used as evidence of extortion.
Of course, you can act on your own, but inIn this case there are no guarantees that there will be a government for the offender. It is better to trust professionals and seek advice from a law firm. Remember: blackmail is an article of the Criminal Code.