Irregular menstruation, decreased libido, frequent problems with hair and skin, infertility - this is how the increased content of prolactin in women manifests itself.
What is this hormone?
If prolactin is elevated in women
Symptoms of this disorder in the body are obvious:
- Hirsutism - the hair begins to grow in the okolososovoy zone, on the white line of the abdomen and face.
- An obvious violation of the menstrual cycle.
- Significant decrease in libido.
- Galactorrhea - the secretion of milk with a slight pressure.
- Visual disorders. Pituitary tumor is the reason that prolactin is elevated in women.
- Symptoms of secondary osteoporosis as a consequence of decreased bone tissue density.
- Obesity as a result of increased appetite.
Physiological. The content of this hormone in the blood can affect pregnancy, increased physical activity, lactation, intimacy. With some surgical interventions (frequent curettage of the uterus), prolactin is elevated in women. Symptoms of the physiological causes of increased levels of this hormone in the blood are described above.
- Iatrogenic. Drugs are often the cause of hyperprolactinaemia. Among them: estrogens in increased dosage, oral contraceptives, antidepressants, antihypertensives, antipsychotics.
- Pathological. Some diseases of the body also provoke a high content of the hormone. For example, liver failure, thyroid gland diseases, radioactive irradiation, liver cirrhosis, pituitary tumor and its compression, tuberculosis, polycystic ovary syndrome. Elevated prolactin is often observed in people who suffer from chronic shortfalls, frequent stressful conditions.
Violation of the level of prolactin in the blood makes it impossible to conceive. Its high content in the body inhibits the synthesis of luteinizing and follicle-stimulating hormones responsible for ovulation.
- ultrasound examination of the liver, thyroid gland, kidneys, mammary glands, ovaries;
- X-ray and MRI of the skull in order to identify pathologies of the hypothalamus and pituitary gland, the same procedures for the bones of the skeleton;
- blood chemistry;
- analysis for prolactin.
If there is no pituitary tumor, then doctorsapply conservative treatment. The most commonly used drugs are "Bromricrytin" and "Dostinex." Remember that if prolactin is elevated in women, the symptoms are similar to those listed above, then only a qualified specialist can diagnose and treat. Be healthy!