Quite often neurologists and traumatologiststake patients who complain of hip pain. If the pain sensations arise occasionally for a short time, and then disappear, then, most likely, you should not worry. But with systematic pains that torture for a long time, one must be alerted and visit a specialist in order to find out the reason and take the necessary measures to eliminate it. Leaving such attention without attention is dangerous, since it can be a symptom of a serious illness. Next, consider the causes of pain in the hip, types, diagnosis and treatment of pathology.
Diseases - the causes of pain in the legs
For many reasons, with age,to develop many pathologies affecting the musculoskeletal system. This is due to both age changes in the body, and with injuries, surgical interventions and pathologies. Among them the most commonly diagnosed are:
1. Osteoarthritis.Formed as a result of wear of the hip joints. As a result, the bones begin to rub against each other, causing pain in the thigh. It can be given to different parts of the foot. Often, pain intensification occurs when weather conditions change. Arthrosis develops in almost 95% of the population after 50 years. But there are cases when the disease affects the joints of young people.
2. Arthritis. With this disease, several joints are affected at once, which causes pain in the leg from the hip.
3. Pear-shaped muscle syndrome.This diagnosis is put almost half of patients who come to see a neurologist or traumatologist. Most often, only pain in the left thigh or right is noted. Patients note that the pain sensation spreads on the back of the leg from the thigh and lower to the very foot.
4. Injury of the sciatic nerve. This is another reason for pain in the hips.
5. Rheumatism.A pathology characterized by inflammatory processes in the connective tissue, and this can not but affect the condition of the joints. Pain in the legs becomes chronic and without treatment of the underlying disease it is difficult to cope with it.
6. Inflammatory process in the hip joint. It can affect the muscle tissue, connective, which will certainly provoke pain in the hip area.
7. Herniated spine in the lumbar spine.The pathology will necessarily declare itself a pain and not only, patients complain of infringement of mobility. As a rule, pain spreads in the legs from the hip to the foot.
8. Osteochondrosis.With the development of degenerative changes in the sacrum or waist, pain sensations become practically a constant companion of man. Pain can be given to the buttock, passes over the back of the thigh.
9. Damage to the musculoskeletal system as a result of trauma. It can also disturb the pain in the muscles of the thigh.
Pain can become not only a symptom of various pathologies, but also be a consequence of natural processes taking place against the background:
- Presence of a congenital defect in the legs.
- Disrupted metabolic processes.
There are also traumatic pains that are associated with:
- Fracture of the neck of the hip.Trauma is often diagnosed in elderly people. Unsuccessful fall - and the diagnosis is provided. Immediately after receiving the injury, the patient may feel pain in the leg from the hip to the knee. Only after the X-ray the doctor can determine the severity of the fracture. Depending on the damage, the femur can remain intact, and a part of the pelvis breaks or the femur moves and leaves the acetabulum.
- Closed injuries. For example, stretching ligaments or muscles can give pain in the femoral part.
- Pain sensations can cause injuries as a result ofoverload. If daily actions cause great tension in the hip joint, then there is a risk of developing an inflammatory process in the muscles and tendons, which will give an unpleasant symptom in the form of pain. As a result of overload, inflammation of the synovial bag can occur, which also manifests itself as painful sensations.
Any pain, regardless of the cause of occurrence, should not be tolerated, it is necessary to find out the cause and eliminate it.
Dangerous pathologies, manifested by pain in the legs
The listed diseases do not threaten lifepatient, although they are quite unpleasant. But there is a group of diseases that not only manifest themselves in pain, but also threaten with serious consequences for health, and sometimes the life of the patient. To such it is possible to carry:
- Malignant formation. Directly in the joints of the tumor are rare, with cancer, metastases affect the bones.
- Tuberculosis of bones and osteomyelitis.These infectious pathologies are accompanied most often not only by pain in the thigh, but also by other symptoms: lameness, fever. Such manifestations can occur against the background of infections of the genito-urinary organs, pelvic abscess.
- Stenosis of blood vessels. Is manifested by pain from the hip to the knee. There is an increase in pain during any physical activity.
These diseases are dangerous for health and life, therefore they require immediate treatment.
Why does the child have pain?
There may be pain in the thigh and in childhood. Parents should not leave a symptom without attention, urgent medical consultation is needed. As a rule, among the reasons for this state are the following:
- Synovitis.This pathology is an inflammation of the inner part of the hip joint. This is often observed against the background of infectious diseases. Serious treatment is not required, but to visit the orthopedist will have to remove excess fluid from the joint cavity.
- Arthritis. The disease sometimes develops already in childhood. In addition to pain, there is an increased temperature, there may be rashes on the body.
- Trauma, which resulted in a dislocationof the hip joint. Among the symptoms, there are pains in the leg from the hip to the knee from the injured side, disturbance of movements. In this situation, the child must be rushed to the emergency room, where they will do an x-ray to exclude the fracture, and the doctor will put the bone in its place.
- Hip dysplasia.Such a diagnosis can be made even for babies. The disease consists in the wrong formation of the joint bones and the violation of the joint surfaces. The load is distributed unevenly when the child walks, the articular surfaces gradually deform, the joint gap narrows, which leads to the appearance of pain.
- In adolescence, pain in the legs canTo develop due to epiphysiolysis of the head of the femur. The hormonal imbalance in this period of life, when there is a lot of growth hormone, and the sex hormone is not enough, leads to a decrease in bone strength and a hip displacement down. Pain, as a rule, occurs during physical exertion. You can give in the lower back, in the knee, in the groin. After rest all is normalized.
Unfortunately, even children can develop serious pathologies, so any pain can not be left without attention.
Pain in the legs of a pregnant woman
Pain sensations in the legs in the hip area can bother future mothers, there are several reasons for this:
- Hormonal changes.The amount of progesterone increases, so the muscles and ligaments relax. This is normal from the physiological point of view, but can provoke pain after a long walk.
- Increase in body weight. As a rule, a woman in a position strongly gaining weight, which leads to increased pressure on muscles and ligaments.
- Increased pressure on blood vessels. The fetus grows and exerts more pressure on the vessels, internal organs. There may be a stagnation of blood in the veins of the thigh, which will cause unpleasant pain.
- An enlarged uterus can squeeze the nerve endings, in addition, the load on the spine increases. For this reason, frequent pain in the hip or back is experienced by many women in the position.
But usually, if pathologies are associated only with an important period in a woman's life, then after the birth of the baby all the pain disappears. If this did not happen, then we will have to look for the cause.
Types of pain
When there are pains in the thigh, the nature of the sensations can change. Considering the intensity of the symptom, the following are distinguished:
- Severe pain. It often occurs suddenly after an injury, while the person clearly senses the exact place of pain.
- The aching. Localization is more extensive and usually the intensity increases with the progression of the underlying pathology, which caused this symptom. A feature of such pains is a complex diagnosis.
- Chronic. Disturbs a person for a long time and indicates the presence of an extensive inflammatory process.
- Somatic. Occurs when ligaments or joints are damaged. The pain can be blunt or acute, it is difficult to determine the exact location of the localization.
- Neuralgic. It is felt if nerve endings are damaged. Pain is felt in the thigh, but pathologies are not found in this part of the body.
- Cutaneous. It is characterized by a short-term character and disappears as soon as the traumatic factor ceases its impact.
Any pain can be accompanied by additional manifestations, including: a feeling of numbness in the leg, tingling, tingling.
Distinctive characteristics of pain depending on localization
Pain sensations not only have a different origin, but also differ in their localization. Most often, patients turn to the doctor for pain:
- From the hip to the knee. An unpleasant symptom is observed not only in the hip area, but also in the inguinal zone, it can affect the lower back.
- Pain from the hip to the foot. Strengthens during movements, often characterized by acute manifestation and can give back. It creates a sensation that the nerve is pinched, which caused such a symptom.
- Pain arising during rest.Some patients note that there is, for example, pain in the right hip, if you lie on your right side. At the same time, numbness, goosebumps, but mobility is not disturbed.
Diagnostic procedures will determine the cause of pain, only after that the doctor will be able to prescribe therapy.
Diagnosis of pain
Diagnosis for each patient - purelyan individual process that takes into account the location and nature of pain, the presence of chronic pathologies, the age of the patient and the attendant symptoms. The most effective methods of diagnosis are:
- MRI.It is prescribed to patients with pain in the legs, especially if it gives back or there are suspicions of the pathology of the spine. During the study, attention is drawn to the lumbar spine and the joint condition.
- Dopplerography of vessels. The study is conducted to assess the condition of the vessels of the legs. Be sure to appoint with varicose veins, thrombophlebitis.
- Ultrasound of joints. This method allows you to determine arthrosis, arthritis, infections of an infectious nature.
- Electromyography. This procedure for the study of tendon reflexes, muscle-ligament apparatus.
- Lab tests.
According to the results of all the studies, experts make a conclusion about the causes of pain in the thigh, and treatment is usually, as a rule, complex.
Basic methods of pain therapy
Getting rid of leg pain involves a long process of treatment. It is aimed not only at removing an unpleasant symptom, but also at eliminating its cause. Therapy is understood as follows:
- Drug treatment.
- Physical therapy procedures.
- Folk methods.
The appointment of procedures and medicines should be handled only by a doctor.
When pain occurs, the first thing to do is to save the patient from the pain syndrome and to remove the inflammatory process. For this purpose, the following groups of drugs are prescribed:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs. Diclofenac and Indomethacin are popular. If the pain is long and acute, then injections of steroids come to the rescue.
- Muscle relaxants. Preparations from this group relieve muscle spasm, improve blood circulation and reduce swelling of tissues.
- Chondroprotectors are prescribed by a long course to improve nutrition and blood supply in pathological areas. They are often used for joint diseases.
- Diuretics relieve excess puffiness, as a result of which the nerve root can become entangled.
- Admission of multivitamin preparations. The necessary vitamins and minerals reduce the severity of the inflammatory process, improve the general condition of the body.
All funds are prescribed in the complex, as a rule, the therapy is lengthy and requires compliance with the dosage and dosage regimen.
Physiotherapy and exercise therapy against pain
After an acute attack of pain was removed athelp modern analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs can begin to physiotherapy treatment. Visiting the treatment room will be beneficial, accelerate the recovery process and significantly improve the patient's condition. The doctor most often appoints the following procedures:
- Electrophoresis. With its help in the pathological site, the maximum concentration of the drug is created, which accelerates the recovery.
- Laser therapy has analgesic effect, has anti-inflammatory and resorptive effect.
- Magnetotherapy with a magnetic field improves blood flow, reduces the intensity of inflammation.
- Massage. Must be conducted by courses of at least 10 procedures.
Along with fizioprotsedurami, prescribed and therapeutic gymnastics. The complex selected by the specialist will improve blood circulation, strengthen muscles, increase mobility.
Therapeutic physical training is carried out under the supervision of a doctor. The recommendations are as follows:
- During the exercise, there should be no pain.
- At home, exercise can be done in a bath with warm water, which helps to relax.
- For many pathologies of the musculoskeletal system, excellent preventive means is swimming.
To get rid of the pain, you will also have to revise the diet. The menu should include useful products with a high content of important microelements and vitamins.
Traditional medicine helps to get rid of pains
When there is pain for the first time and if they do not differ in intensity, you can try to get rid of them with the help of folk healers:
Among the effective, in the opinion of some patients who have tried this therapy on their own, one can recommend:
- Fresh bacon.It is necessary to apply a strip of fat to the sore spot and fix it with a bandage. Leave for several hours, during this time the thickness of the product will decrease, then you need to attach a new piece. The procedure should be carried out until the pain ceases to disturb.
- Pepper compress is also used for pain inhip. For preparation it is necessary: onion juice in the amount of 100 ml, 20 ml of plantain juice, internal fat, two pods of bitter pepper. Pepper grind in a blender or meat grinder and combine with the rest of the ingredients. Before applying to the sore spot, the mixture should be slightly heated. It is necessary to rub the sore thigh and wrap it with a warm cloth.
- Ointment based on mustard. It is prepared as follows: 150 grams of salt, a glass of mustard and a little kerosene. Prepare a composition that resembles sour cream in thickness. Rub into aching joints for the night.
Sharing of different methodstreatment will give the desired results, but have to be patient. Pathologies of the musculoskeletal system require prolonged therapy. But the thought of self-medication is better left at once, only a competent specialist after careful examination can choose an effective course of therapy. Self-medication is especially dangerous if the cause of pain is oncological or other serious pathologies.